This is a part-time 24-hour/week position with a broad range of duties, which is at the heart of this busy and largely voluntary not-for-profit environmental organisation of organisations.
The Executive Officer supports ECO’s executive committee and about 47 member bodies of ECO. The Executive Officer is frequently the first point of contact for the ECO member bodies, government agencies, and others. The Executive Officer has responsibility for a sole-charge office with a range of duties but much of the work can be done by remote electronic means. They play a key role in the production and distribution of ECO’s weekly email newsletter, Tieke. (To get a feel for the newsletter and organisation, read back issues here.)
Responsible to: ECO Chair(s) or alternate designated Executive Committee member(s).
Reporting to: ECO Executive Committee, ECO Administration/Finance Committee.
Relationships with (internal): Co-chairs, ECO executive members and other ECO committees and working groups, and Member organisations, ECO staff, (if any), contractors, and volunteers, ECO Treasurer and other officers; Friends of ECO.
Relationships with (external): Reviewer/ auditor, government agencies, stakeholders and enquirers, and other non-governmental organisations.
Note: Our treasurer undertakes our financial reporting to the admin and finance Committee and Executive Committee.
Location: Online and at times the ECO office, Rm 29, 2nd Floor, Trades Hall Building, 126 Vivian Street Wellington, as agreed with the Admin and Finance Committee.
Skills and Experience
Administrative Systems: ECO’s Executive Committee uses Google Suite for storage and sharing of files and calendars. Other key software we use are Mailchimp for our weekly email newsletter, CiviCRM for our membership database, and Xero for our accounts. Experience with this software is an advantage.
Outreach: In addition to its Annual General Meeting, ECO periodically convenes webinars or conferences in places around the country. The successful applicant will need to show that they have experience in event planning and management or comparable organisational skills.
- Contribute to the production of ECO publications, in particular our weekly newsletter, Tieke as appropriate.
- Database management: maintaining records of ECO members, Friends of ECO, the Executive and regular contacts. We use Civi CRM as our platform.
- WordPress website content management – training provided
- Drafting and sending communications about the renewal of membership and Friends’ subscriptions.
- Manage and direct to appropriate ECO Executive Members, incoming communications (email, telephone, correspondence etc).
- Banking accounts payable/receivable, and liaising with the Treasurer regarding monthly accounts, tax payments, GST, on the computerised accounting package, Xero, as well as filing any paper and electronic records of these in an orderly and retrievable form.
- Maintain records of employment and contract payments, leave taken and owing, and tax returns.
- Maintain records and ECOs calendars of meetings and pending events, submissions due and done, ECO’s involvement and to facilitate ECO’s participation in these as appropriate.
- Liaise with and help Executive Committee members and member bodies regarding ECO activities and direct enquiries to suitable ECO executive members.
- Provide input into the general operation and management of the ECO office and undertake office housekeeping.
- Coordinate actions in association with the Co-chair(s) and organise Executive and Admin and Finance meetings, take minutes and record actions, and maintain documentation in ECO’s Google Suite system or replacement.
- Assist with fundraising in liaison with the ECO Executive Committee and any fundraiser who may be engaged.
- Maintaining a healthy and safe environment in the ECO office and in other domains of ECO work, and reporting regularly on ECO’s Health and Safety issues.
- Providing the ECO Executive Committee with short regular “Executive Officer Reports”
- Complete other administrative tasks as directed by the Executive, or Admin and Financial Sub-committee or Co-chairs.
- Manage (as appropriate) any volunteers, staff, or contractors in association with the Co-chairs and designated Executive members.
- Support for media releases and enquiries (but not to do media work otherwise).
- Contribute to the proofing, printing, and dispatch of ECOLink and other publications
- Assist ECO working groups
Application closes on 29 Aug 2022 unless filled prior
Date published: 29 July 2022